Friday, June 29, 2007

A man who is stingy with saffron is capable of seducing his own grandmother.

Gosh it sure took me a while to figure out how to do the peakaboo hack (think, lj-cut)! Check it out. You can expand and hide my posts! Click on the Read More... links at the bottom of posts to do so.

Jesse and I had one of our favorites- Indian food! For dinner, I did saffron rice with corn with mustard seeds and punjab choley. Well, I did not actually cook the punjab choley! Trader Joes has a brand, Indian Fares, which is curries that comes in heatable packages. Pretty cool! There isn't a TJ's around here, though.. Mom mails them to me in her packages full of treats!

For the saffron rice, I cooked long-grain white rice (my basmati looked dusty!) in buttered water with a good pinch of saffron threads until the water was absorbed, fluffed it up in a bowl and added sweet peas that was lightly seasoned with sea salt, black pepper, and a slight dash of hot madras curry powder for a slight kick.

I either didn't cook enough rice, or sampled a bit too much! It most likely was the latter..like always! I wasn't about to wait some more for another batch of rice to cook up, so I used couscous which is also lovely with curry and so much faster to make! Did pretty much the same thing I did with the rice..I wanted to keep the flavors constant!

For the corn with mustard seeds, heat sunflower oil in a wok (or large heavy skillet) over med-high heat and add a couple pinches of brown mustard seeds. Cover and wait for the popping to stop. Add one or two serrano chiles, thinly sliced, and stir for 30 seconds. Stir in a few dashes of tumeric, add about a cup of sweet corn kernels (slice 'em off ears of corn or thaw some frozen ones) and reduce the heat to low. Cook until corn is tender, about five minutes (frozen, one minute). Remove from heat and stir in minced fresh cilantro.




small bowl- saffron rice large bowl- couscous


clockwise from top left- corn with mustard seeds, saffron rice, corn with mustard seed, couscous and then punjab choley in the middle


1 comment:

chandra said...

Heather.....

i am a foodie.....and like wat yu write.

i am also an artist.

come, meet me at:

chandrasart.blogspot.com

warm wishes

chandra