Monday, July 2, 2007

DOUGHNUTS, donuts!

I've allowed anonymous comments, because I know not y'all have a blogger account! Cheers.

For a week now, I've had cravings for doughnuts where it got to the point of driving me insane, so I just had to, had to find a recipe! I used one from Gourmet and it turned out alright. I'd like a fluffier doughnut, but I suppose I should've fried 'em for less time. Well, when you make 'em, you can fry 'em shorter and make doughnuts sooo yummy you'll be wanting to make 'em everyday, because I know I want to make some more!



Dough:
2 1/2 tsp
active dry yeast
2 tbsp warm water (105-115 degrees)
3 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole milk at room temperature
3 large egg yolk
1/2 stick unsalted butter
2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Stir yeast and warm water in bowl until yeast is dissolved. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Discard if not foamy.




Mix flour, milk, butter, yolks, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and yeast mixture in a mixer at low speed until a soft dough forms. Increase speed to medium-high and mix 3 minutes. Scrape all dough down to center of bowl and sprinkle with flour.



Cover dough with a clean kitchen towel (not terrycloth) and let dough rise in a draft-free place at warm room temperature until doubled in bulk, 1 1/2 - 2 hours. (I forgot to mention in the vLog- TIP: turn the oven on to 200 degrees and put the bowl either on top or besides it. But be careful- this can speed up the rising so keep an eye on it)



Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface (If you're using a counter top like me, spray it down with a cleaner and then wipe it very well with a wet kitchen towel. Clean it with water repeatedly and dry before flouring!) and roll out with lightly floured pin into 12-inch round, 1/2 inch thick (watch it-I didn't and rolled too thin! That made some skinny doughnuts heh). Cut out as many rounds as possible with 3-inch cutter then cut hole in center with 1-inch cutter. Transfer to lightly floured large baking sheet and cover with clean kitchen towel. Let rise in warm room temperature until doubled in size, about thirty minutes.







Heat 2 1/2-inch oil in deep 4-qt heavy pot until 350 degrees (I used a wok and poured in a whole bottle of canola oil). Fry doughnuts 2 at a time (or as many as you can without crowding donuts), turning once until puffed and golden brown, about two minutes total (OR A LOT SHORTER, MAN). Transfer to paper towel to drain and return oil to 350 degrees between batches <-- important



Glaze: if I remember correctly, I melted a stick of butter in a double boiler (bowl set over an inch of simmering-do not boil-water in saucepan) and threw in a 'bakers bar' of organic chocolate and stirred until melted, added a quarter cup of warmed milk. Remove the bowl from heat and stir in two cups of sifted confectioner's sugar. You're supposed to use light corn syrup too, but I didn't have any. Worked fine anyhow! You can use your own glaze if you wish. oohhh for the doughnut holes, I tossed them in a ziploc plastic bag that had 1 part cinnamon to two/three parts sugar











CHEERS.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg heather your cat is sooo ADORABLE@@!!!! this is Mallie btw. :) i read your blog everyday.. i love your videos!

GradSkoolDropOut said...

LOL Girl you got me crackin up at work...why do you post the video of you messing up? LOL just how I remember you...a little bit of dork in all of us I guess.

Ok, So I am leaving in 5 mins and will be there soon to get my dounut!!! Save me the dounut holes.

:o)

Anonymous said...

THAT is the worlds smallest kitchen!! The donut holes looked GREAT!! Think maybe you fried them a bit too long? Know what would rock with them donuts? "Creme Anglaise" sauce (custard sauce)...just fry em like u would and drizzle the sauce over em, or even DUNK em... now i gots a hard on for donuuutttssssss

Anonymous said...

that was me (ace) up there

Patricia Scarpin said...

I haven't had doughnuts in ages! I'm so craving them right now. :)

i'll close my eyes said...

GREAT advice about coating dough with flour to prevent a crust from forming.