Monday, August 6, 2007

Not tonight, love. I'm having a kebab.

My gosh, I've slacked enough on posting! There was a little crisis at home on Friday and I broke my sidekick in the midst of all the chaos, so I was emotionally drained. But there's nothing like spending some time in the woods to lift your spirits! Jesse and I joined Melissa and Timm at the Van Duzen river on Saturday. The trout were far too young to be fished, but I had fun swimming amongst them! Being nibbled by tiny fish is a funny sensation hehe


Humboldt beauties

So, that meant no fish for dinner. I kept nagging Jesse about what to bring to prepare with the fish, but he told me to never plan on catching fish. Good thing I listened to him! Instead, I made potatoes with green onions and bacon and beef kebabs. Timm complimented the seasoning on the beef, which I love to hear! I almost always season my beef with my staples: cumin, salt, and pepper. I also used chili powder for the kebabs. Jesse cooked the beef perfectly! It was awesome, as campfire food always is :]




So, the potatoes were prepared first since it required about 30-40 minutes of cooking time. Bacon was crisped up in a bit of vegetable oil in the dutch oven, and then taken out with the drippings reserved. I chopped up about eight red potatoes, which should be hasslebacked--deep cuts crosswise about 1/4-inch apart, stopping 1/4-inch from the bottom--but I kept cutting through the bottom with the silly little paring knife I had on me, so I just chopped them up. Put the potatoes on foil and drizzle the bacon drippings over (with hasslebacked potatoes, pour the dripping in between the slices) and toss with a few coarsely chopped cloves of garlic. Place the potatoes, still on top of the foil, in the dutch oven (or loosely wrapped in foil in a regular oven preheated to 450 degrees). Cover and cook for 30-40 minutes over the fire (45-50 minutes in an oven). Add the green onions and crispy bacon, crumbled and stir. Season to taste with salt and pepper. I added crushed red pepper flakes to my potatoes because I like a little kick :]



The kebabs were simple, as kebabs should be. All I used was red bell peppers, onion, bacon, and seasoned cubed beef. The ingredients were coarsely chopped (onions were quartered), and threaded onto wooden skewers that had been soaking in water for half an hour. They were put over the fire (with foil underneath), lightly drizzled with oil and lightly seasoned with salt, and grilled until slightly charred in spots and cooked through.




2 comments:

Anne Marie said...

It looks like my husband making kebabs! Nicely done. One tip, soak wet bamboo skewers for while, add little oil to water so that when cooked, they slip off easily.

My kebabs..olive oil with little rice vineagar, crushed garlic, oregano, little rosemary. Put everything in freezer bag, best on night before.

drmzz said...

Ahh shucks about the trout. Was looking forward to that receipe in practice. Swimming with the trout, that's something that I, as a trout fisherman don't think about, lol. Cool substitute meal thou! Yummy.