Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Sail forth, steer for the deep waters only; Reckless, O' soul, exploring. I with thee, and thou with me.


The custard came out of the oven not too long ago. It looks good, but it's flat! and the caramel made such a mess. Pretty much none of it stayed inside the bundt pan! Man I need to get rid of that dumb two-piece pan..I have a leak problem every time I use it. Grr.

How do
you make caramel? I have noo patience and messed it up a couple times lolol man. Pictures and recipes coming up in the next entry..Meanwhile, check out some photos from Stone Lagoon!






view from the campsite



beautiful, foggy humboldt :]















Cheers!

2 comments:

Anne Marie said...

It is definitely a challenge with custard type recipe. I tried a custard kind cake from Israeli using a recipe from my husband's cousin. How it best works with "a lot of eggs" recipe, cook at higher heat then gradually lower it like over 15 min. I started with 350 degree then incrementally lower to 300 degree (over 15 min) then finally bake the cake for 45 min. When done, I slowly turn down temp (over 10 min) and keep the oven door shut for another hour before ever open it. That helps keeping custard from flattening. It still flattens a bit. I asked my husband who has been eating this for all of his life, he said it is normal.

Another challenge is try not to brown on the top. I am working on it. A deaf Israeli woman friend of our on the web cam explained that sometime we need to lower our oven temp untl before we know exactly how to do it.

I ate flan in Spain and also in different Mexican restaurants, I find them to range from being soft, creamy to more dense and heavy.

I never made caramel so cannot advise on this.

I will share the recipe we really enjoyed lately after I see your next attempt with your recipe!!

Unknown said...

what do i know? a former classmate of mine who adored emeril becomes one herself!

enjoyed reading and watching ur blogs/vlogs. good to see ur face again. :) your cat is supercute i wanna squeeze her. bad idea maybe.

i also gotta try the monkey cake and pizza someday soon!

peace,
justin