Tuesday, August 7, 2007

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!



Beer Bread

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 12-oz bottle of beer

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan.
Combine all but beer in a large mixing bowl. Pour in beer and stir until stiff dough forms. May be necessary to use hands. Scrape into prepared loaf pan.
Bake for 50-60 minutes. Cool in pan for five minutes and then turn out onto cooling rack.





I loved this! It didn't rise as much as the bread in the picture from the recipe did. I don't know why, but I didn't mind. This is not a yeast dough, so preparation and baking is very much like banana bread, zuchinni bread, etc. I will be making this bread pretty often with different beer every time!

I used local beer from the Lost Coast Brewery. I'm not a big fan of that brewery, really..but Great White is my favorite beer out of what they have. Personally, as for local beer, I much prefer Eel River Brewery, which is the first and only organic certified brewery in America : )

Go buy a six pack of your favorite beer and save a bottle for some Beer Bread. Great for thick, hearty meals! Cheers.

6 comments:

Karen Mayes said...

:) we are our worst critics when it comes to our cooking, so I am sure your beer bread would rock us into earthly delights!

Aaron said...

is that Lost Coast beer I see??

Anne Marie said...

Gotta try a wheat beer, a German beer namely Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier, it gives a breadth of ... ;^)

heather :] said...

karen- for sure! i always have to find something wrong with my creations ;)

aaron- yes it is! lost coast is one of the closest local brewery. we got a whole bunch! six rivers, lost coast, eel River, and humboldt brews to name a few.

anne marie- i think i'm familiar with Weihenstephaner.. if it's what i'm thinking of, they've got bottles with a melted candle look on the top. 13% or more alcohol volume!

Aaron said...

oh I am *so* jealous. I was born and raised in Cali, and lost coast downtown brown has always been a fav of mine. Can't find it here on the east coast though. bummer.

Anonymous said...

can i get a banana-nut bread recipe?